Agreement to Produce Administrative Officers for Thai Society
One of the major aims in the establishment of the Royal Pages’ School, which anticipated the founding of King Chulalongkorn’s Civil Servants School and subsequently Chulalongkorn University, was to produce educated personnel for the government administration, particularly those who would work for the Ministry of the Interior. However, in 1934, the teaching of academic disciplines in government and law at Chulalongkorn University ceased when Thammasat and Karn Mueang University was founded. As time passed and the political situation demanded more government officials, the teaching of government and law was revived at Chulalongkorn University with the establishment of the Faculty of Political Science in 1948. A number of government officials at the Ministry of the Interior served as special lecturers. The Ministry of the Interior also entered into an agreement with the Civil Service Commission that the first 3 batches of the graduates, 60 in each batch, from the Faculty of Political Science would be appointed to work as Deputy District-Chiefs. So, the first 3 batches consisting of male students only and, from the fourth batch onwards, female students as well, were admitted to study in the Faculty of Political Science.