Chulalongkorn University and the Expansion of Equal Educational Opportunities to Rural Areas and the Support of Students with Special Talents to Study at Chulalongkorn University
Following the intention of King Chulalongkorn, who laid the foundation for the birth of Chulalongkorn University, the University has, from the start, made it a policy to give equal educational opportunities to everyone in society. This policy is in accordance with the 3rd National Educational Development Plan, which contained one important issue—creating educational equality because the government had found that educational equality was still limited; rural young people did not have an equal chance to education.
For this reason, Chulalongkorn University has launched a number of projects to select young students in rural areas to give them the privilege of attending the University via a special application; for example,
- The Project to Admit Students in Rural Areas to Study at Chulalongkorn University (The Chula-Rural Area Project),
- The Project for the Promotion of the Study of Medicine for Rural People,
- The Project to Increase the Number of Medical Doctors for Rural People,
- The Project for the Dissemination of Medical Doctors: One District, One Scholarship,
- The Project Relating to the Government’s Large Investment in Public Health,
- The Project to Increase the Number of Dentists,
- The Project for Admitting Thai Islamic Students from 5 Southern Border Provinces to Study in the Faculty of Allied Health Sciences,
- The Project for Selecting Thai Students from 4 Southern Border Provinces to Study in the Faculty of Economics.
The University not only gives the opportunity to rural students to continue their studies at Chulalongkorn University but it also encourages its lecturers and students to experience the way of life of rural people and learn their problems so as to be exposed to the cause of the problems and, thus, be able to apply their knowledge to the development of the quality of life. These projects are for example:
- The Teaching and Learning Project for Rural Development,
- The Teaching and Learning Project to Acquire Experience,
- The Interdisciplinary Camping Project for Rural Development.
As well as special projects for rural students, Chulalongkorn University has also established other types of special programme to support students who have special talents so that they will be able to make use of their potential for the benefits of society. Projects of this kind are, for example,
- The Project for the Development and Promotion of Students with Special Talents in Science,
- The Academic Olympics Project for Special Admission to the Faculty of Science,
- The Project for the Development of Manpower in Science (Thailand’s Scholarships for Students Who Are Good at Science),
- The Project for the Development of Children and Adolescents Who are Talented in Science to Enter the Faculty of Science via a Special Procedure,
- The Academic Olympics Project for Special Admission to the Faculty of Medicine (in Biology),
- The Project for Special Admission of Students to the Thai Language and Literature Programme,
- The Project on a New Way to Study Medicine,
- The Project for Admitting Talented Students at Sport on a National Level,
- The Projects for Admitting Talented Students in Art,
- The Project for the Selection of Students to Study Thai Architecture in the Faculty of Architecture.