The Development of the First 4 Faculties
The first 4 Faculties have undergone changes and development in accordance with the current situation and appropriateness as follows.
The Faculty of Public Administration
The Faculty of Public Administration has changed its curricula according to the situation. In 1933, the Ministry of Justice transferred the School of Law to the administration of Chulalongkorn University. Thus, the University managed to teach Law together with Public Administration and the name of the Faculty of Public Administration was changed to the Faculty of Law and Political Science. In 1934, the Faculty was transferred to the administration of the newly founded Thammasat and Karn Mueang University. However, the teaching of the two disciplines was revived at Chulalongkorn University with the establishment of the Faculty of Political Science in 1948 and the Department of Law became part of this new Faculty.
The Faculty of Medicine
The teaching in the Faculty of Medicine at Chulalongkorn University, which was, in the beginning, conducted at Siriraj Hospital, was transferred to the administration of the University of Medicine, founded in 1943. Later, King Ananda Mahidol considered that the University of Medicine should produce more doctors to provide adequate medical assistance to people. Therefore, in 1947, the second School of Medicine of the University of Medicine was established at Chulalongkorn Hospital by the Thai Red Cross Society and was known as “The Faculty of Medicine of Chulalongkorn Hospital, the University of Medicine”. Later, this school came under the administration of Chulalongkorn University and became the Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University in 1967.
The Faculty of Arts and Science
Founded with the establishment of the University, the Faculty of Arts and Science was the one entity responsible for teaching fundamental courses in Humanities and Science to other Faculties. Later, this Faculty was developed to become eligible to offer a Bachelor’s Degree Programme in Arts and Science and in 1943, the Faculty of Arts and Science became two independent Faculties.
After separating from the Faculty of Science, in 1948, the Faculty of Arts changed its name to “the Faculty of Arts and Education” and included the teaching and learning of Education at the Bachelor’s Degree level. In 1957, the Department of Education was elevated to Faculty status, becoming the Faculty of Education. The name the “Faculty of Arts and Education” became shortened to the” Faculty of Arts”, its current name.
The Faculty of Engineering
Among the first 4 Faculties established at Chulalongkorn University, the Faculty of Engineering is the only Faculty that has not changed in terms of status and affiliation. This Faculty has continued to develop and is able to offer a programme at Bachelor’s Degree level. The first batch of Engineering graduates received their Bachelor’s Degree in 1935.