Elevating King Chulalongkorn’s Civil Servants School to Chulalongkorn University
On March 26th, 1916, at King Vajiravudh’s royal command, King Chulalongkorn’s Civil Servants School was elevated to become Chulalongkorn University in order to serve as an immense and permanent monument of his Father. The King presented funds of 982,672.47 Baht, which had been left over from public donations for the erection of the Equestrian Statue of King Chulalongkorn, to support the construction of the Headquarters and Classroom Building on a plot of land owned by the Royal Treasury. The plot of land, covering an area of 1,309 rai (approximately 456 acres), was located in Pathumwan District. The King granted permission to use any sum remaining from the construction for activities of the University.