Ownership of the Land Presented to the University by King Vajiravudh
Early in the establishment of the University, King Vajiravudh presented the remaining sum of 982,672.47 Baht from the erection of the Equestrian Statute to the construction of classroom buildings and announced that a plot of land under the care of the Royal Treasury, covering an area of 1,309 rai (456 acres), in Pathumwan Sub-district was to be placed within the boundaries of Chulalongkorn University. This sum of money and the land donated by the King were a major asset of Chulalongkorn University from the start. However, the King could not yet transfer the ownership of the land to the University because the land was still entailed in the provident account of the servants of King Chulalongkorn. In theory, Chulalongkorn University had to enter into a contract to rent the land from the Royal Treasury. In 1939, Prime Minister Colonel Luang Pibul Songkhram issued a law transferring the land ownership to Chulalongkorn University, the details of which appeared in the “Transference of the Ownership of the Land Owned by the Crown Property in Pathumwan Sub-district, Bangkok, to Chulalongkorn University Act, B.E. 2482.” Chulalongkorn University then had complete ownership of the land in accordance with the wishes of King Vajiravudh.
The plot of land owned by Chulalongkorn University covers an area of 1,153 rai. It is divided according to the masterplan into 3 parts—an educational zone covering about 50% of the whole area, a zone for other official units to rent or hire covering 20% and a commercial zone covering approximately 30%. Managing the land in order to make a profit is in keeping with King Vajiravudh’s initiative. The University’s founder believed that for the University to be able to carry out its principal mission there must be supporting resources apart from the government budget.