The Royal Pages’ School and the Birth of Chulalongkorn University
King Chulalongkorn’s younger brother, Phrachao Nongyather Krom Luang Damrong Rachanuphaph (H.R.H. Prince Damrong), in his capacity as Interior Minister, was designated to implement the King’s idea that civil servants should be required to serve, primarily, as royal pages. The Prince saw the advantage of the requirement that civil servants should be individuals whom the King knew and trusted, especially those who served in the Ministry of the Interior because they were to be assigned to work in different circles and provinces. At the same time he realized that to make young men serve as royal pages without introducing them to the new educational system that was vital to the country’s administration would be a waste. This led to the establishment of the Royal Pages’ School in 1899 (in its initial stage, the school was named “the Institute for Training Civil Servants” and the name was changed to “the Royal Pages’ School” in 1902). At the time, only one programme, in Public Administration, was offered and there were 50 students.