Somdech Phra Mahitaladhibesra Adulyadejvikrom Phra Boromrajjanaka (H.R.H. the Prince of Songkhla)
Born on January 1st, 1891, H.R.H. the Prince of Songkhla was a son of King Chulalongkorn and Queen Sawangvadhana. After graduating from the Naval Academy in Germany, the Prince went to study Public Health at Harvard University in the U.S.A., and he took an additional programme in Paediatrics. He played a major role in establishing modern medicine and public health in Thailand.
The Prince of Songkhla contributed to the teaching and development of Chulalongkorn University during its initial stage. He coordinated with the Rockefeller Foundation in the promotion of the teaching of Medicine in Thailand. The Foundation provided foreign lecturers to teach in the Faculty of Arts and Science and gave scholarships to Thai teachers to study abroad so that, after their graduation, they would return to replace the foreign lecturers. To facilitate this, Chulalongkorn University had to build a laboratory, which became known as the “White Building” and was the first laboratory at Chulalongkorn University and the first classroom building in the Faculty of Science.
As well as being active in the development of Medicine and Science, the Prince organized a course in Contemporary History, giving lectures and leading students on outside educational tours. The Prince can be considered to be the Second Royal Lecturer at Chulalongkorn University. While teaching at Chulalongkorn University from 1924 to 1925, he did many things that benefitted the University. In 1928, he submitted a proposal for the University’s development and many parts of the proposal were implemented and were of benefit to the University.