The Cholatassathan Museum
King Chulalongkorn wanted to arrange an exhibition of items that could be found on Si Chang Island. Therefore, on June 27th, 1891, he held an exhibition of seeds in honour of the Crown Prince Maha Vajiroonhis because he regarded it as a way of boosting the people’s morale and encouraging them to work hard to eke out a living. These seeds were classified according to their use. The King also had the Asdangkhawan Forest created in the style of a botanical garden containing a diversity of plants. The Forest was divided into three sections—Chulawan, Mahawan and Mutchimawan named after the three forests that appear in the Maha Vessandara Jataka.
Following the example of King Chulalongkorn’s exhibitions at the Phra Chudhadhuj Ratchasthan Palace, Chulalongkorn University directed the Aquatic Resources Research Institute to build a natural museum on Si Chang Island and to name it “Cholatassathan”. As well as serving as a natural aquatic museum and a place for presenting the Institute’s research work, this museum also provides fundamental information about the natural resources in the area of Si Chang Island.